Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Picked up my first VOTT at auction last week.

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Leland's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2009
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Picked up my first VOTT at auction last week.

    I learned about horns from my La Scalas.....and couldn't pass the chance to pick the Altec up. (but was surprised i won the auction...having to drive roundtrip 600 miles to pick-up)

    I believe it is a fairly vintage unit....just the one. Perhaps someone can verify and shed some more light on it's age.

    Dividing Network, N-500-C, housed in a brown crinkle finish box, mounted on top of speaker. serial # 60688-2

    Driver is a 288B 24Ohm...brown crinkle finish...research says these were produced between 1949 and 1959.

    Horn adapter: # 30146

    Horn is an 805. Multicell 4x2 Tar filled I assume. Would really appreciate info on this horn.....I am thinking to try to find a second one, and want to know if they are not too rare. Serial # 30146

    Inside, the woofer is a 515 G Series, 16 Ohm. I assume this is a replacement...as way to new.

    The Driver places the unit between 1949 and 1959....per a site I visited.
    But the Horn seems to be very late 40's or very early 50's

    I was able to test it out yesterday.....FANTASTIC sound. I got my first complaint too.

    Thanks in advance to anyone with more info....

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Picked up my first VOTT at auction last week.

    Congrats!

    You should find plenty of hits on this site using those terms.
    'Search this forum' is in the top right side of the main page.
    Altec User's Board - Hostboard
    Sometimes it appears in the thread display, but not of late for me, you just have to go back to the main page.

    For PDF Manual and literature archives:
    Literature for Vintage Altec Products
    Altec Lansing Professional Audio - Vintage Speakers
    ALTEC LIBRARY

    In the latter, finding a similar 805 or 805B in the catalogs may give you an idea of the time frame and contemporary pieces.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2004
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Picked up my first VOTT at auction last week.

    Sorry to say I have been looking for a tar filled 805 for years and have not come across one. The 30162 number is the casting number of the throat piece, the original would have been made from brass rather than the later aluminum versions and they can be valuable on their own. The tar filled versions of the horn are solid on the 4 sides, in the later ?B? versions the individual cells are visible when looking at the horn from the top. You are correct, the 515G is a really great woofer but would not be original with a 288B/ 805 horn.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Leland's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2009
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Picked up my first VOTT at auction last week.

    I have come across reference to the 805-B, in research, and saw a pic of the label with the B plainly visible.

    Mine is clearly marked with 805 only. I was just guessing on the tar filled. Mine is not solid on all sides...but rather the multi cells 4x2 are visible. It is light grey, with what looks like chopped glass fibers on the outside. The tin composition of the horn doesn't ring hollow....so i assume it is filled with something? I have seen pics of old RCA horns that are solid like you describe....so get what you mean.

    (I haven't take pics yet, or would post)

    In research, the last 805 I can see posted for sale on the web was in 2000.

    Perhaps you can tell me more.....I have yet to find a reference to the 805 except these:

    (SORRY, new here, can't post links yet)

    It is hard to tell from the first link....perhaps it is solid. Mine looks like the one in the second link.

    I was looking at the adapter today, to see if it was bronze or aluminum...and the paint is still nice...no nicks. I will take it apart and see what it looks like on the inside.

    Anyway, so far have it narrowed down to 1949 to 1959 via the 288B. Is there anyway from the serial numbers to date Altec equipment?

    Thanks Gearfreak for the links, still checking out all the Altec pages and references I can find.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Leland's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2009
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Picked up my first VOTT at auction last week.

    Sorry bit of a mix up on serial #

    The throat adapter is marked #30162

    The Horn itself is an 805 with a serial # of 30146.....but I get that the # might be just the size of the opening at the end of the horn.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.